We aim to bring together industry professionals, students, communities, seafarers, conservationists, and regulators to promote responsible practices.
We empower the industry and propel workforce development towards a more sustainable future.
We provide vital support to the maritime industry in achieving its goals, emphasizing a commitment to industry advancement.
The North American Marine Environment Protection Association (NAMEPA) is a marine industry-led organization of environmental stewards preserving the marine environment by promoting sustainable marine industry best practices and educating seafarers, students and the public about the need and strategies for protecting global ocean, lake and river resources.
The objectives of the association are similar to those set out by the 1982 HELMEPA Inaugural Declaration of Voluntary Commitment “To Save our Seas,” adapted to North America’s special circumstances/needs. Thus, independent of “politics and business promotion,” the objectives of a MEPA are to foster the voluntary cooperation of its members in order to:
- Encourage effective compliance of its members with national and international laws and regulations adopted for the protection of the marine environment from pollution;
- Communicate information to seafarers and the staff of member-companies and/or environmental awareness campaigns for the general public and school children in particular on the marine environment and the ways to prevent its pollution;
- Create and promote safety mindedness and security spirit within the industrial sectors involved in its membership;
- Enhance quality standard and professional competence throughout its membership and especially the members from within the maritime community, with the means of a concerted training effort to educate and inform all, from the owner to the youngest employee of every participating company;
- Cooperate with International Organizations, i.e. the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), the International Maritime Organization (IMO), as well as national agencies, i.e. Coast Guard, Port Authorities, Tourist Boards and any other entity whose aims coincide with those of the Association;
- Promote relationships and/or partnerships with educational institutions (schools, Colleges, Universities, Maritime Academies and other) to further spread the voluntary commitment of MAPEAs to the youth of today, who are the world’s future scientists, engineers, managers, politicians etc;
- Publicly recognize the individual, associations, organization, companies and any other that demonstrate outstanding achievements in the field of protection of the marine environment from pollution.
Declaration of a Voluntary Commitment to Save Our Seas
We, the Shipping Community of North America, comprising shipowners, operators, managers, agents, classification societies, service providers and seafarers, sincerely believe that:
- Although ship generated marine pollution is only a component of the total marine pollution problem, it is one that can virtually be eliminated with sufficient care and effort;
- Although international conventions and national laws and regulations designed to reduce and eliminate significantly to the abatement of such pollution exist, problems related to the monitoring and enforcement of laws and regulations persist;
- Even the most widely accepted conventions, laws and regulations cannot be fully effective until every sector of the shipping industry is committed to the elimination of marine pollution;
- Such full commitment can only be achieved if the regulatory level is complemented by a high level of environmental consciousness;
- Such environmental consciousness can only be achieved through a concerted voluntary effort to educate and inform all sectors of the shipping industry, from shipowner to seaman.
Accordingly, we, the Shipping Community of North America, voluntarily commit ourselves to eliminate ship-generated marine pollution.