Celebrating 50 Years of Protecting the Marine Environment
The International Convention for the
Prevention of Pollution from Ships
Join NAMEPA for a complimentary series of discussions led by our corporate members and partners as we celebrate 50 years of MARPOL. This 10-part webinar series has been developed to increase marine environmental awareness and MARPOL compliance.
Each 1-hour webinar will dive deeper into different annexes and key environmental challenges and solutions in the maritime industry.
Explore the webinars below and register today!
January 18, 2023 at 1500 ET
Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution by Oil from Ships
- Discover what started MARPOL
- Understand how Annex I protects the marine environment
- Explore how Annex I has changed over the past 50 years
- Investigate proper compliance
February 22, 2023 at 1500 ET
Annex II & III
Regulation for the Control of Pollution by Noxious Liquid Substances in Bulk & Regulation for the Prevention of Pollution by Harmful Substances Carried at Sea by Package Form
- Explore the similarities in Annex II and III
- Learn how these substances affect the marine environment and us
- Discover and learn about proper equipment to be compliant
April 19, 2023 at 1500 ET
Regulation for the Prevention of Pollution by Sewage from Ships
- Explore solutions that support compliance
- Review proper disposal and discharge of sewage
- Investigate the importance of compliance to protect coastal communities and habitats
May 10, 2023 at 1500 ET
Compliance and Safety
- Explore how safety at sea is connected to MARPOL compliance
- Investigate ways safety at sea and the welfare of mariners improve working conditions
- Discuss ways safe work environments impact the marine environment
June 14, 2023 at 1500 ET
Regulation for the Prevention of Pollution by Garbage from Ships
- Learn how this annex is different from others
- Explore how this annex is enforced
- Discuss ways to educate seafarers
July 19, 2023 at 1500 ET
Regulation for the Prevention of Air Pollution by Ships
- Learn about the scope of Annex VI
- Explore the data acquisition involved in this annex
- Investigate current ratifications and refinements
- Examine and review the conclusions of the MEPC meeting
- Discuss what this annex will look like in the future
August 16, 2023 at 1500 ET
Ballast Water, Antifouling, & Invasive Species
- Investigate examples of invasive species introduction and the damage they cause to environments
- Explore solutions and systems to reduce the impact and spread of invasive species
- Learn about systems in place for antifouling mechanisms
- Explore the environmental impacts of these systems
November 29th @1500 ET
Ship Salvage and Recycling
- Explore the challenges and solutions to ship salvaging
- Explore the challenges and solutions to ship recycling
To Be Announced!
Navigating Hazards: Challenges and Solutions
- Talk with industry professionals about what is actively being done to navigate the ever-changing waters.
To Be Announced!
MARPOL OPERATION: COMPLIANCE
Tools for Effective Environmental Compliance
NAMEPA's MARPOL guide can assist seafarers and shoreside personnel to better understand MARPOL regulations, why they are needed to preserve the marine environment, and how to better comply.