- This event has passed.
North American World Maritime Day Cozumel
November 13 - November 14
November 13-14, 2018
Every year, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) celebrates the maritime industry by supporting a series of events around the world which highlight the value of the marine transportation and ports industry. For the past 11 years, World Maritime Day has been observed in North America, rotating between the United States, Mexico and Canada.
This year’s theme is “Our Heritage- Better Shipping for a Better Future”. This provides the opportunity to take stock and look back, but also to look forward, addressing current and future challenges for maritime transport to maintain a continued and strengthened contribution towards sustainable growth for all.
This year’s World Maritime Day North American Observance will be held in Cozumel, Mexico with workshops conducted on November 13th followed by an all-day conference on November 14th. Topics will range from port and shipping collaboration, to port waste reception facilities, MARPOL compliance, air quality and community programming.
Booking a hotel? Book at the Intercontinental Presidente Cozumel Resort Spa and ask for the NAMEPA event rate starting at $185/night.
For reservations please call +52 987 872 9500 ext. 6130 or email email@example.com.
November 13th- Workshop
1400 – Formation of CARIBMEPA to “Save Our Seas”
OAS-CIP, RAC/REMPETC, WiMAC, IMO, CMU and others
- Alignment of goals for the organization
- Structure and growth
- Outline of opportunities
- Capacity building
- Signing of MOU/LOI
1900 – Welcoming Dinner- Hosted by AIP Quintana Roo
November 14th – Conference Program
0900- Welcome- Governor of Quintana Roo, remarks delivered by Alicia Ricalde, Director General, API Quintana Roo
0930- Opening Remarks— Master of Ceremonies: Carleen Lyden Walker, Co-Founder/Executive Director, NAMEPA
- IMO- Commendation address by IMO Secretary General Kitack Lim
- Secretariat of the Navy – Vice Admiral Jorge Sainz
- United States Coast Guard- CAPT Jason Neubauer
- Director General of Port Management and Promotion, CPyMM, SCT, Mexico – Fernando Gamboa Rosas
1100- Coffee Break
1130- MARPOL Compliance- Moderator: Alejandro Trillo, TGM and NAMEPA Board Member
- Compliance in Ports – Jorge Duran Secretary of the Inter-American Committee on Ports (CIP)
- Rigor required for Sustainability- Capt. Anuj Chopra, Rightship
- Going beyond compliance- Rich Pruitt, Carnival Cruise Lines
1300- LUNCHEON Keynote: A Vision for the Future of Shipping and Ports
Introduction by Jorge Duran – Secretary of the Inter-American Committee on Ports (CIP)
- Fernando Gamboa Rosas – Director General of Port Administration and Development, CPyMM, SCT, Mexico
1430- Tools of Compliance: Environment, Safety, Security – Jorge Duran – Secretary of the Inter-American Committee on Ports (CIP)
- Rich Pruitt, Vice President Environmental Operations, Carnival Cruise Lines
- Alejandro Trillo, COO, TGM
- SEMAR representatives
1530- Coffee Break
1600- Looking at the future- Navigating Change Moderator: Captain Anuj Chopra, RightShip and NAMEPA Board member
- What Owners Believe- Javier Garcia Urtiaga, CEO BSM Shipping
- Cybersecurity for ports and ships- Andrew Baskin, Vice President, Global Policy and Trade, Hudson Analytix
- Future Workforce- Captain Mario Alejandro Camacho Vidal, Pilots of Mexico
1700- Plenary Discussion – Moderator: Carleen Lyden Walker, Co-Founder/Executive Director, NAMEPA
- Oceanic Awakening – David Gonzalez, General Manager Latin America and Caribbean – Marine Solutions, Wartsila
1800- Closing Remarks
Thank you to our sponsors!