- This event has passed.
Focusing on Solutions in Today’s Maritime World
February 23, 2018
February 28, 2018
West Gulf Maritime Association Offices
Maritime industry colleagues joined NAMEPA at the WGMA offices in Houston to explore “Focusing on Solutions in Today’s Maritime World”. Never since the change from sail to steam, and from coal to oil has the maritime industry experienced such profound changes. In this round, though, the changes are being compressed into less than a decade.
With the low sulphur mandate coming in 2020, and the greenhouse gas pathway being developed leading up to 2023, shipping is being faced with challenging, and immediate, decisions.
The conference addressed these issues, along with the risks posed by cyber threats, the impacts of autonomous shipping, and the changing educational landscape.
WITH LINKS TO PRESENTATION DOWNLOADS
(CLICK ON TOPIC FOR PDF DOWNLOAD)
Welcome: Niels Aalund, Sr. Vice President Maritime Affairs, WGMA
Setting the Stage- Opening Keynotes
- Industry resilience in sustainability: Joe Hughes, CEO the American Club, Chairman of NAMEPA
- The future of shipping: Tracey Gunnlaugsson, President & CEO, SeaRiver Maritime, Inc.
- Emission regulations- expectations & enforcement: RADM Paul Thomas; Commander, Eighth District; US Coast Guard
Fuels for the 21st Century
Moderator: Doug Martin, President & General Manager, SMIT Salvage Americas
- Feasibility of LNG as fuel: Aziz Bamik, General Manager, GTT North America
- Investing in LNG: Alexander Panagopulos, Founder & CEO, Forward Ships
- How competitive are scrubbers: Dr. Ram Vis, Director, Viswa Labs
- Fuel transitioning: Jan-Willem van den Dijssel, Americas Lead Ocean Transportation, Cargill
- The energy transition, implications for maritime transport: Jan Hagen Andersen, Business Development Manager, DNV GL
The Future Mariner
Moderator: Ole Chr. Schroder, Director of Environmental Compliance, Scorpio Group
- Emotional stability: Jason Zuidema, Executive Director, NAMMA
- Tooling the future mariner: RADM Mike Rodriguez, USMS; Superintendent; Texas A&M Maritime Academy
- Ensuring the health of the mariner: Gordon Cooper, Global Business Development Director, Future Care
- My expections!: Student from the Texas A&M Maritime Academy Graduate Program
Eduardo Campirano, CEO & Port Director, Port of Brownsville
IOT & Digitalization – Benefits and Risks
- Mitigating cyber risks: Cynthia Hudson, Chief Executive Officer, HudsonAnalytix
- Cyber insurance coverage: Boriana Farrar; VP, Business Development Director North America, Sr. Claims Executive,Counsel; The American Club
- Digital transformation: Per Ostman, Director of Marketing, Veson Nautical
- Extracting wisdom from Big Data: Anuj Chopra, Vice President, RightShip Americas
Ships of the Future- Autonomous & more
Moderator: Niels Aalund, Sr. Vice President Maritime Affairs, WGMA
- Regulating autonomy: Jon Waldron, Partner, Blank Rome
- Failsafe propulsion- the autonomous ship: Kevin Humphreys, Business Development Manager- Americas, Wartsila
- Compliance verification on an autonomous ship: Dr. Xiaozhi (Christina) Wang, Vice President Global Engineering and Technology, ABS
Shipowner Reflections Roundtable
Moderator: Carleen Lyden Walker, Co-Founder & Executive Director, NAMEPA